Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not as Young as I Use to Be

Not as Young as I Use to Be, and Not as Old as I’m Gonna Be

We make so many excuses for not submitting our writing. I don’t have enough time. I have too many other obligations. I’m too young. I’m too old. I’ve got too many rejections. I don’t have an agent. Any sound familiar? If I had used the excuse of age, I would never have been published. My agent believed in me and kept submitting my manuscripts. When I wanted to quit, friends encouraged me to keep on.
When God calls us to a task, He expects us to finish it. If we’re obedient to that call, He will give us what we need to complete it because He who began the work in us will carry through until it’s completed. Galatians 6:9 tells us not to grow weary when we’re doing God’s work because we’ll reap a harvest when God sets the time.

So many younger authors were getting contracts and having success that I wondered if He’d forgotten how old I was getting. Well, God doesn’t forget. He doesn’t sleep. He never quits work. He’s always there willing to help us reach our goals when we call on Him for help. The Lord does expect us to do our part. That part is to put ourselves in that chair and write.

My agent, Tamela Hancock Murray, never gave up on me and encouraged me to keep writing. My first contract came at age 73. God’s timing was perfect. It always is. I’ll be 75 in two months and by that time I will have five novels and one novella published with another five novels contracted. When God opened the door for me, He kicked it wide open. Prayer, perseverance and patience reaped the harvest at the time God ordained.

Do whatever it takes to write. If you’re serious, God will help you find the time. At other times He may tell you to wait a season and take care of other things first. Listen to His voice and calling. Write as much as you can when you can. Be patient, and pray for His guidance in all that you do. Jeremiah tells you to call on Him, and He will answer and tell you great things you do not know. Jeremiah also tells us that God has great plans for us, plans to give us hope and a future. So press on to what God has called you to do whether it is to wait for a season to begin or whether it is to work hard now, for pressing on will lead you where you need to go.

So what excuses have you used to keep from submitting?

3 comments:

Jillian Kent said...

Good Morning Martha,
You said:"Prayer, perseverance and patience reaped the harvest at the time God ordained."

I think that's what it's all about. I was submitting for a long time before things turned around, but on my wall at work I have three calendar pages I pulled out from a Joyce Meyer calendar I just love. The first one is titled, In God's Time, the second, "God Will Make A Way," and the third is, "Keep a Good Attitude."

So I too would encourage writer's to submit their work and not be shy, but realize that sometimes it takes awhile, but it's worth the wait, isn't it?

Martha W. Rogers said...

Yes, Jill, it's more than worth the wait. God has truly blessed me at a time in life when so many of my friends are slowing down and not getting as involved as they once were.

DebMoss said...

I'm so glad you persevered! God bless you!