Monday, November 18, 2013

A Unique Book Club Experience


Beth’s article reminded me of a unique book club experience I had recently. It wasn’t a group signing, just one of my own. I was invited to be the guest author at a book club that consisted of a group of women who lived on local farms and ranches. The women had been meeting for many years faithfully—one of the members even kept minutes of each meeting and recorded every book they had studied.

The drive to the meeting was interesting. It took my wife and I far out into the country, along winding roads and down into a deep river valley. Cattle roamed the pastureland freely and posed a hazard, especially as the sun began to set and we realized the cattle were Black Angus!

During the drive, I thought to myself: What kind of book club experience will this be, way out in the middle of nowhere? How many will attend? Well, it turned out to be a wonderful experience, with all but one member in attendance. They were exceptionally cordial and complimentary, and even asked me to pose for pictures with them afterward. But the biggest surprise of all was as my wife and I were preparing to leave, the book club members handed me an envelope. It contained a $50 gift card.

I’ve attended several book clubs in the past, but I’ve never been given a gift before. Just the opportunity to speak to book clubs about my books was gift enough. But this kind, isolated group went the extra mile. They even invited me to come back again so they can discuss my second book. I’m going to take them up on it!

Have any of you had an unexpected experience at a book signing?

3 comments:

Debby Mayne said...

How fun! Congratulations on such a wonderful experience!

I like book clubs too, and I speak at them every chance I get. As for unexpected experiences at signings, I've had many. My favorite was when a woman I hadn't seen in more than 20 years showed up and surprised me.

Lena Nelson Dooley said...

I love meeting with book clubs, and at one of them, I was given a gift card.

My favorite time was the last one I attended. I had been a guest author speaker at this one two or three years before. One lady came up and said she remembered me from when I was there before. She told me I was precious and her favorite of all the speakers they'd had.

Darrel Nelson said...

How special was that, Debby? It's wonderful to make contact with people we haven't crossed paths with in a while (especially if "a while" is measured in decades).

Lena, you obviously made a great impression on the lady for her to remember you like that. The gift card was nice, but to be remembered like that: even nicer!