Monday, August 5, 2013

Writing This Summer - Lena Nelson Dooley

Some really fun things have been going on with my writing the last few months. 


 In Texas, we have summer for a long time, so I'll start with May. Last year, Maggie's Journey won the Selah Award for Historical Novel from the Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference. This May, Mary's Blessing was one of three finalists for the Selah Award for Romance. You already know that Jillian Kent one of the other finalists. What a privilege to share that with her.

I was unable to attend the conference, so one of the members of my local chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers and the critique group that meets in my home, Marji Laine, accepted my certificate for me. And she was a finalist for one of the unpublished awards. Way to go, Marji.

She didn't get to bring my award to me until late July. Here we are at critique group when she gave it to me.

A review by Wendy Newcomb for Mary's Blessing:

WOW! Mary's story is one that tears at your heart. She takes everything that is handed to her, and it's a lot, but keeps on going and giving her best for her family. She shows such strength for having to take over a household at such a young age with no resentment or anger. Sometimes maybe a little wishful thinking for some time for herself, but she pulls herself together and continues on with the life that she's been given.

I'm so glad I have the third book, "Catherine's Pursuit", so I can get started on it right now. All I can say is that if you get "Maggie's Journey" you might as well get the other two at the same time, that's what I did and I'm really glad.

Thank you, Wendy!


I've also published some of my backlist books that are out of print as ebooks that are available both on the Kindle website and the Nook website.



The Spinster and the Cowboy
The Cactus Corner singles scene is shrinking. . . . Many were unmarried by choice, others by circumstances, but single women living the 1800s carried the unfortunate label of “spinsters.” Once branded, can a spinster find love?

India Cunningham is happy running the ranch her father left her when a man she doesn’t remember from her childhood arrives to help her. Can she trust Joshua Dillinger, or is he there to steal her land?
The Spinster and the Cowboy (Spinster Brides of Cactus Corner) - Kindle



Christmas Confusion
Lori Compton, mayor of Mistletoe, needs ideas for ways to prop up the sagging economy. After having her heart broken by the former pastor, she doesn’t want to spend time with the new pastor.

Rev. Russell Brown has plenty of ideas, even one that includes his spending the rest of his life with the beautiful mayor. Will Lori be able to move beyond her hurts and recognize God’s intentions for the future of the town – and for her own future?
Christmas Confusion (Montana Mistletoe) - Kindle




The Best Medicine
When Thomas Stanton shows up at the holiday party of Rose Fletcher’s best friend, his appearance reminds Rose of the infatuation she felt for him when he worked on her father’s ranch. Although her heart wants to continue those long ago feelings, her mind reminds her that he doesn’t share her faith in God.

Thomas can’t understand why Rose seems so standoffish. Will it take God’s intervention to show these two people just what He has planned all along?
The Best Medicine (Snowbound Colorado Christmas) - Kindle





Can You Help Me?
When Valerie Bradford asks a Home and Hearth store employee for assistance, she doesn't realize that she'll get more attention than she bargained for.

Austin Hodges can't believe what the feisty blond plans to accomplish all by herself. Because of his profession, he knows how much help she needs, but for right now, his advice will have to do.

God must lead them through the misunderstandings they encounter toward a bright future together.
Can You Help Me? (Carolina Carpenter Brides) - Kindle
The ebooks are also available at: www.barnesandnoble.com 

I still have two more books to go. I'm waiting on one cover to be designed right now.

And I'm really excited about my next project. I am the screenwriter for a Christian romantic suspense movie that is heavy on the suspense. I'm adapting Pola Muzyka's novel Abducted to Kill about persecuted Christians in the 1990s. The movie will release in 2014.

And I've read several good books this summer.

What books have you been reading?

2 comments:

Debby Mayne said...

Lena, I'm so happy for you with all the great reviews and being a finalist in contests! You've worked hard and helped so many people. I hope things keep going well for you!

Since I'm deep into writing a series now, the majority of my reading has been nonfiction, mostly health related books. After I finish writing my current book, I'll probably go on a fiction reading binge. I have tons of great books on my Kindle that I can't wait to get to.

Jillian Kent said...

You are just having too much fun, Lena. I can see it in that wonderful smile of yours. Love the certificate!

I'm currently reading and listening to, Saving Italy: The Race to Rescue a Nation's Treasures from the Nazis by Robert M. Edsel.