Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hey Y'all!


I’m excited to be part of the Charisma House family with other authors I admire and readers who enjoy having the Lord included in the lives of characters they read about.

So here’s a little bit about me. I’m a left-handed southern girl, military brat, and only child who can often be found immersed in some sort of story, whether it’s in a book, movie, TV show, or eavesdropping session at the local mall. My preference is books because of their portability and intimacy that you can’t find with any other medium. I love sports, fitness, food, fashion, comic strips, TV game shows, American Idol, and quite a few other random things.

I have a degree in Community Recreation and a minor in English from the University of Southern Mississippi (Go Golden Eagles!). After college, I worked as an activities director in nursing homes, program center director for the YWCA, and multiple unit representative for the St. Petersburg Times (now the Tampa Bay Times). I took some courses and got certified to teach, but after a short stint in a seventh grade classroom, I discovered that classroom management wasn’t my thing, so I left the little angels in more capable hands. I’ve held a variety of writing jobs, including product information fashion writer for the Home Shopping Network—so fun!

Granddaughters Sophia and Emma
My husband Wally and I are blessed with two adult daughters, Alison and Lauren. Alison and her husband Jason live in North Carolina, and they have two little girls, Emma and Sophia. Lauren and her husband Ryan live in South Carolina where he is stationed in the Air Force. Wally recently retired as a financial advisor, and since he can’t sit still long enough to warm a seat, he decided to become a certified personal fitness trainer and coach for the First Tee golf program for kids.

My first series with Charisma is called Uptown Belles, with three very southern heroines who move up to New York City, each for a different reason. They all meet men who are charmed by their honey-dripping accents and feistiness. These are fish-out-of-water stories—a situation I’ve found myself in many times. In the first book, Missing Dixie, you’ll meet Cissy Hillwood, a very young, spirited heroine who stumbles before she walks and has been known by the nickname Motor-Mouth. But her heart is as big as her desire to make her way through life. I hope readers love her as much as I do.

When you have an extra minute or two, visit my website at Debbymayne.com, read my personal blog, “friend” me on Facebook, “like” my author page, and follow me on Twitter. Blessings to all!

5 comments:

Brandi Boddie said...

Hey, Debby! Welcome to the Charisma family. Great learning more about you :-) Congrats on the Uptown Belles series. Can't wait to read it!

Debby Mayne said...

Thanks, Brandi!

Angie Dicken said...

I felt like I was reading about myself in those first couple of sentences...minus the only child thing! We are agent mates, too. :) Sounds like a great series, Debby! Can't wait to read it.

Beth Shriver said...

Welcome, Debby!

Martha W. Rogers said...

Looking forward to your new series, Debbie. Welcome to our fold. BTW my nickname from friends and family was Motor Mouth back in high school and college, so I can totally relate to your heroine. :)