Monday, January 7, 2013

Setting Goals


Resolutions or Goals?

 

New Year’s Resolutions were always been hard for me because I never kept them past the middle of January. Something always happened to get me off track. A few years ago, I decided to toss resolutions out the window and set goals for myself. A few years I began asking the Lord for a Scripture verse and a word that He wanted me to follow for the year. The first Scripture was Galatians 6:9 and the first word was PERSEVERE. At that time I also decided to give God a year to do His work in me, and I in turn would set goals to make myself a better servant of His.

That was the year 2009, and was the year I also received my first contract for the historical series, Winds Across the Prairie. What a ride I’ve had in the past three and a half years.

God is faithful and will reward our obedience and service to Him with blessings we can’t even imagine. Through the good times and the bad, as we trust Him, He is working in our lives to draw us closer to Him.

Writers need perseverance in order to reach their goals whether it’s for that first contract or a new one. We can’t give up on our goals. God never gives up on us, and whatever His will for our lives, it will be fulfilled in His time and on His schedule. God is never late and He’s never too early. His timing is perfect even when it doesn’t match ours. God will honor our trust and faith in Him.

This year my verse is Matthew 6:33. “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you as well.” I will seek Him and trust Him to take care of me no matter what circumstances come about. My word for 2013 is SEEK. Seek His will, seek ways to serve Him, and seek His message through the Scriptures.

So what is your goal for this year?

2 comments:

Jillian Kent said...

Hi Martha,
My scripture is: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

This years goals: Complete another novel and a novella or short story.

My word: Confidence.

Martha W. Rogers said...

That sounds like a plan, Jill. Looking forward to your accomplishing your goals.