Monday, May 16, 2011

Where's Your Space?

By Andrea Boeshaar

Where do you like to write?

Readers ask me this question all the time. I have a home office. But I didn’t at first. It wasn’t until the last of my sons got married and moved out that I claimed a room as my own office. Then we moved to a smaller home and now one of our three bedrooms is designated as my workspace.

But it’s not state-of-the-art. I work on a scuffed up oak desk – built in the days of solid wood and it weighs a ton. My mother once owned an auction gallery and the desk once stood in her office with a matching credenza (I have it too). Certainly, you wouldn’t find this furniture in a penthouse office suite. But folks, they just don’t craft furniture this well anymore! For that reason (and for the memory factor) I love it and it’s part of my workspace.

As for the rest of the décor, it’s a hodgepodge of framed artwork and other memorabilia. On the bulletin board, I have pictures of friends and family –including my precious grandchildren. I’ve tacked up silk flowers from weddings and Bible verses that help to keep my thoughts on Christ.
  

Celebrate!

I also have a painting that my twelve-year-old niece made for me on my 50th birthday. I’ve entitled it “Celebrate.”

Storm
My great aunt Agnes painted a picture decades ago that’s called “Storm.” I inherited it from my grandfather’s cousin, and I cherish it. I’ve hung it on the wall near the window if my workspace.



My Beach
My aunt Naya Rydzewski, a noted artist in Key West, painted a beach scene just for me. It occupies the wall directly across from “Storm” (I thought it quite appropriate).

In addition, I’ve framed a few of my book covers and hung up an award I received from ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers).   

Cover of "Keepers of the Light"
and an ACFW award



Impressive? Hardly. Are these things in my workspace of great value? Probably not. But they are priceless to me and they make me feel creative. That’s not to say I draw upon these items for creativity. I don’t. My gift of writing and creating comes from the Lord and through much prayer. Simply, I enjoy feeling surrounded by the finished products of artistic loved ones.

I must admit that when the North Wind blows and deadlines loom, I seek refuge in "office #2"….and everyone’s got one (an office #2, that is).


Office #2

Yep. Grab that laptop and crawl under the covers! I’d be interested in learning just how many authors write in their bedrooms. I’m sure there are plenty who do!

The question to consider when selecting a workspace is, where do you feel the most creative? At the kitchen table near the window so you have a view of your garden? In the corner of the living room? At the dining room table?

Years ago, my husband and I toured the poet, Carl Sandburg’s home in North Carolina. His workspace is adjacent to what was his bedroom and we learned Mr. Sandburg preferred to work at night. I took heart when I surveyed his organized mess. The tour guide said that wherever Mr. Sandburg worked there were piles of papers, files, and books. Sometimes he worked on orange crates as opposed to his desk or a table. Not what you'd expect from such a prolific bard -- at least, I didn't.

So, getting back to the original question: Where do you like to write? Drop me a comment and let me know about your space. And if you're a reader, tell me where you most enjoy reading books.

2 comments:

Author and Editor Sandra D. Bricker said...

It used to be that I would only write in my office space. But over the last year or so, I've taken to sitting in the recliner by the window. I feel very creative there as I watch the sunshine land on the beautiful grass in my back yard...where my dog is usually lounging lazily! I don't really want to write anywhere else it seems.

Pat McGrath Avery said...

Like you and Sandra, I have an office but I most often write in a favorite chair on my netbook. I spend the winters in South Texas and enjoy the birds that flock to the resaca (lake) in our backyard. I spend the summers in a lake community in Kansas where I look out my windows at beautiful green trees and a quiet lake view.