Friday, May 6, 2011

The Thrill Ride to Publication Part One


Secrets of the Heart offically released this week on May 3rd. It was a thrill and will be for a long time. I had a few minutes to savor the fact that I have a published novel available for the reading public. I've known this day was coming for a long time, but  when I look back on all the years of study and effort and rejection it really does become a rollercoaster of emotion. I made it to the top of the rollercoaster this week, closed my eyes, and felt my stomach drop as the emotion raced over me like that downward rush after the long, slow climb up the tracks.
I live very close to Kings Island in Ohio. It's one of the biggest amusement parks in the country. If you are looking for a thrill, this is the place to visit. Thrill Rides Very much like the journey to publication. For instance, there is a ride called Delirium. Pictured on the right.  Dictionary.com (medical dictionary) describes delirium as "a mental disturbance characterized by confusion, disordered speech, and hallucinations." I ask, as a counselor now, who in their right mind would get on a ride called DELIRIUM? Ah, you've figured out I'm not a lover of thrill rides.

But even though I'm not a fan of rollercoasters and other thrill rides I think those of us who write with  the goal of publication in mind have passed through a gate that leads to one of the biggest thrill rides we are likely to encounter. Up and down and all around we go. And sometimes it's as crazy as DELIRIUM: "a powerful ride that sends 50 outward facing riders seating on a continuous ring with their legs dangling free in the air - spinning madly at the bottom of a giant arm that swings back and forth rocketing riders up to 137 feet in the air…"  Like I said, who in their right mind? :)

But I suggest that those of us who set our sights on publication are the same kind of risk takers as those who would subject their minds and bodies to the delirium of thrill rides. If you are a writer and you want to share any part of your thrill ride please tell us about it. If you are a reader, what kind of thrill ride have you encountered?

I will be giving away another book this week in celebration of Secrets of the Heart. So leave a comment with your e-mail address.  I will announce the winner on Sunday for Mother's Day. So if you would like a book please leave your comment by midnight Saturday, May 7th. And if you want to read Part Two of this continuing post you'll be able to find it at Jillian Kent's Blogspot on Tuesday, May 10th.

Now take a deep breath and relax after that wild ride and enjoy the book trailer for Secrets of the Heart that was so kindly provided by Realms. Secrets of the Heart Video

11 comments:

Julie Lessman said...

JILL!!!!!! SUPER CONGRATS on the release of Secrets of the Heart, girl -- I am SOOO excited for you!! LOVED the trailer ... gave me goose bumps, just like the book! God bless your debut. Hugs, Julie

Andrea said...

Congrats, Jill. And this is just the beginning. Put on your seatbelt! :)

Beth Shriver said...

Congrats on the release of your book Secrets of the Heart, Jill!

Jillian Kent said...

Hey Julie,
Thank you so much! And thank you for all your support. You have so much enthusiasm and passion for this calling. I want to be just like you when I grow up! :)

Jillian Kent said...

Hi Andrea and Beth,
I really appreciate the congrats. Seatbelt, Andrea? I'm going to strap myself into a harness and hang on for dear life. :) And Beth it's so nice to see you here.

I just got my first review on Amazon and I was so relieved it was positive. Have a great weekend ladies.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jillian! So excited for you and all your accomplishments!!!

Christi Corbett

PS. I'd love to win a copy of the book (even though I already bought a copy, I'd do a blog giveaway)

Jillian Kent said...

Christi,
You are such an awesome encourager. Have a great Mother's Day!

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations on your release, Jill! I have Secrets of the Heart on my TBR shelf and am eager to savor your story.

Jillian Kent said...

Keli!
I'm so honored that you bought my book. Thanks sweetie.
Jill

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

indeed an awesome trailer. i'm very excited to get to read this!

jeannie
the character therapist
charactertherapist (at) hotmail (dot) com

Jillian Kent said...

Thanks Jeannie,
Glad you like the trailer. So much fun!
Jillian