Monday, April 16, 2012

Don't Keep It To Yourself

I attended the Women of Faith One Day Conference in Cincinnati on the 14th. It was amazing and uplifting. I hadn't gone for a long time and I'm posting on another aspect of the conference on my personal blog tomorrow. But I wanted to share one little thing that I heard that is a really big thing. I know you all realize this on some level but it especially hit home for me at the conference.

Sheila Walsh spoke about a friend inviting her to speak at a fancy country club and she was doubting herself and wondering what she could share with folks who were in a better financial standing than she was at that time. Of course her friend hadn't quite prepared her with all the details. :) I won't share it all here but the speech went well and people she thought wouldn't approach her with their stories did approach her.

All this to say that it's amazing how God sets us up to hear just what we need to hear when we need to hear it. Got that? :) The friend sitting next to me that day had recently invited me to speak to a group of women on the day prior to Mother's Day. The theme is going to be on Unconditional Love. Speaking in front of others isn't my favorite thing to do, but I'm going to try and get past my discomfort to share a message I hope will uplift someone else, just like Sheila ( Angelic Visitor), and Ken Davis (Prayer for Grandpa), and Scott MacIntyre ( Interview), did at the conference. What I heard was basically if you have a gift, don't keep it to yourself, share it with others.

Now my gift may not be speaking, I don't really know yet. But at this point in time God has chosen me as he's chosen the other writers on this blog, and you too if you're a writer that is reading this. If you have the gift to write then write and do it as well as you can. If you have a gift, no matter what it might be, are you sharing it? And be prepared that God may ask you to step up and do more. It's kind of scary and kind of awesome. So on May 12th I will step up and address a group of women at a church concerning unconditional love. I know you all will keep me in your prayers as I prepare for this opportunity. :) Don't forget.

So when's the last time you spoke in front of a group? How'd it go? What do you feel your gift is? I know we frequently have more than one. As a counselor,  I have the gift of encouragement. I hope that spills over into my writing and my speaking. Is there someone you were listening to at a conference or church or work who inspired you recently? What did they say?

Be Blessed!
Jill


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Like you, Jill, I believe God gave me the ministry of writing. In years past, I've taught Sunday school and Christian weight control classes. In our church ladies group (GIG-Girlfriends in God)our pastor's wife gave a Helen Keller quote that keeps running through my mind, "we would never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world." God bless you.

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

the last time i spoke in front of a group was at a local roundtable of professionals who came to listen to several speakers (i was only one of about 7) talk about cultural considerations within child abuse prevention. i have a gift for humor, and this engages the people in my talk far quicker than anything else. i believe this does come through in my novels, as well. :)

jeannie campbell, LMFT
the character therapist

Jillian Kent said...

Hi Janet!
I could use that Christian weight control class about now. :)

It's amazing where God leads us, isn't it? I guess I can see that much better now with a little age and experience but I have a feeling I'll be feeling that way until I see God face to face. Love the quote.

Hey there, Jeannie,
I agree! I think humor goes a long way in life, speeches, and our novels. With my brain cells I just hope I can remember what I'm talking about. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Beth Shriver said...

I haven't been to a Women of Faith conference for a while now but I always enjoyed them.I'm not big on speaking but will when necessary. We all have the same gifts,it would be a strange world if we did:)

Jillian Kent said...

Hi Beth!
It's fun exploring our gifts. And it's fun to find one we didn't even know we had until later in life. Hope that's the case with this opportunity.