Sunday, April 22, 2012

DEALING WITH BAD SURPRISES

In March, I posted asking about whether surprises are good or bad. I think we all agreed that we like good surprises, but we're not so fond of bad surprises. Since that post, I've had a couple of the not so good ones mixed in.

Just before I was going to send in the completed manuscript for book three in the McKenna's Daughter series, the doctor told my husband he needed a biopsy of his bladder. Let me tell you that trying to do your own final edit of a manuscript while dealing with the possibility of cancer or something almost as bad with your soul mate of almost 48 years takes a toll on your creativity.

The week James had the biopsy, came home and waited two whole days before we got the report, then had another uncomfortable time at the doctors, I just had to keep plunging forward, whether I wanted to or not. How did I deal with that?

The same way I deal with good surprises. I look toward the Lord. I lean on Him and trust Him to be there no matter the outcome.

Two scant weeks later, this past week, I had to have an angiogram or heart cath. That, too, was an unwelcome surprise. Not a thing to be grasped. But at the same time, I knew that I could trust the Lord and He would take care of me whatever the outcome.

I sometimes ask myself what's the worst thing that can happen? That's easy. I could die and go to be with the Lord in heaven. That puts things into perspective. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to hurry the end of my life away. I only want to go when the number of my days are finished.

We had good reports from both of these events. And God never left our sides, in the operating rooms, in the hospital room, on the days we didn't feel very good, and now that we're recovering. Don't you just love that about the Lord.

And there are plenty of good things scattered between. Our youngest granddaughter decided she wanted to be baptized this weekend. That's a big step for a teenager to make in front of their Christian friends. The time was special.

And I have two upcoming events. On May 5, I have an event at the Library in Bedford, Texas, near where I live.

Then May 15, Mary's Blessing releases, so on May 19, there will be a Book Release event at Mardel Christian Store in Hurst, the town where I live.

So what do I do to deal with bad surprises. I trust the Lord and keep my eyes on Him.

1 comment:

Jillian Kent said...

Good advice for all of us, Lena. Look to the Lord and hang on tight. So glad you two are well. Congrats to your granddaughter on her baptism. I be that brought smiles to your faces and your hearts.

I think we have a few releases coming up May 15th. Chameleon comes out too and I think we have more. It's going to be a busy month.