Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Popular Genres

GENRES

I have written in a number of different genres, but my romances seem to be the most popular. My stories have romance or romantic elements in them, and because romance is always the top selling genre, I want that genre in what I write.

Romance covers a wide and vast group of readers who enjoy all different types of romances. Contemporary, historical, romantic suspense, paranormal, inspirational, multicultural and more. All of these genres can work without the romantic element, so as romance writers we are weaving a love story into what every one of these genres, we just add another element.

Romance stories have been around for a long time. The first romance was written in 1740 titled simply, Pamela. In the next century Jane Austen expanded the genre and we all know that her books still live on today. A decade later Mills and Boon began releasing romance novels, and their books were resold in America. In North America, romance novels are the most popular genre in modern literature, compromising 55% of all paperback books. Despite the popularity, the genre has attracted diversion, skepticism and criticism. The more controversy the more interest readers have for the very thing that is causing the diversity, meaning more books on the shelves. Although there isn’t as much in the CBA market, there are some CBA writers who have pushed pretty far. But if we’re going to reach readers in the ABA market we have to be real in our writing.

As for Amish, it’s seems to be here for awhile, but like any popular genre it will eventually find it’s place behind the next popular genre that surfaces, but I will keep writing them as long as people will read them. Writing Amish stories fits my roots, having a father who was raised on a farm and my mother on a ranch brings out the pastoral side of me. It’s familiar to write about life in the country, and seems real when I’m writing about how they live, the struggles they go through, which are not so too much different than ours. But the way they deal with everything God centered always amazes me, and I have grown to admire their ways.

So for those of you who enjoy a good Amish story, read on. And for those of you who haven’t given it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: