Monday, April 21, 2014

Quotes About Writers and Writing


I've always enjoyed reading quotes – the quirkier the better. Since writers like to string words together, they're some of the best sources for sayings that make you think, make you laugh, and maybe even make you cringe. 
MConnors/Morguefile.com

Here are some that I wanted to share:

"I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."
~Stephen King
(Still having nightmares after the last Stephen King book I read – at least 10 years ago.)

"It ain't whatcha write, it's the way atcha write it."
~Jack Kerouac
(Back atcha, Jack!)

"There is no way that writers can be tamed and rendered civilized or even cured. The only solution known to science is to provide the patient with an isolation room, where he can endure the acute stages in private and where food can be poked in to him with a stick."
~Robert A. Heinlein
(Sounds like a dream vacation to me.)

"It's none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way."
~Ernest Hemingway
(So now ya tell me.)

"Writers are a little below clowns and a little above trained seals."
~John Steinbeck
(Or maybe it's the other way around.)

"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works."
~Virginia Woolf
(Yikes! Not so sure this is a good thing in my case.)

"Most writers regard the truth as their most valuable possession, and therefore are most economical in its use."
~Mark Twain
(And that's why I enjoy writing fiction where people expect economy of truth.)

"Writers mean more than they say and say more than they mean."
~Mason Cooley
(Hmm. I'll have to think about this one and get back to you later.)

"Writers are completely out of touch with reality."
~Joss Whedon
(That's why I love writing so much. Reality is overrated.)

"I would advise anyone who aspires to a writing career that before developing his talent he would be wise to develop a thick hide."
~Harper Lee
(Oh yeah. I can see a lot of heads nodding.)

"I think all writing is a disease. You can't stop it."
~William Carlos Williams
(So true. I've probably "quit" writing at least a dozen times during my career, and look at what I'm doing now.)

Do you have any favorite quotes about writers or writing? What are your thoughts about them?

By the way, Missing Dixie, the first book in my Uptown Belles series with Charisma House is releasing very soon! Join Alabama girl Cissy Hillwood as she finds her way in New York City. Yeah, she stumbles a lot, but she has a great attitude. After all, the bumps and bruises are nothing like what she would have to endure if were to return home.

Here are some links for anyone who is interested in preordering it: